Singaporeans dying away from home
Excerpts from my latest article for Yahoo:
As we left them and the home, I wonder how many Singaporeans — after having served and contributed to the country — would end up in homes such as this one abroad simply because they would not be able to afford to stay in nursing homes in their own country.
It is just not right that our elderly, in what should be their golden years, are subjected to this indignity, to be cast aside or forced out of the land they were born in, grew up in and worked for and contributed to, through no fault of their own or their families’ — with the prospect of returning home only when they have breathed their last.
With almost a million Singaporeans projected to be above 65-years old in 2030, it is incumbent upon the government to seriously look into this matter and not let our elderly be subject to such unconscionable indignity when they are no longer “economically active.”
There is a responsibility for a government to care for those who no longer can, and to extend help to families who are burdened in such circumstances.
Our elderly should not have to seek shelter in a foreign land.
Read the full article on Yahoo Singapore.
Comments – Dos & Don’ts
- So, Yang Yin is part of this “Singaporean core”?
- Pity, Calvin
- Hanging offenders with low IQ – where is mercy?
- Why did newspaper reject SKM’s statement on Amos Yee?
- Amos Yee and the intolerance of the hysterical minority
- Poison pen fliers – a virulent kind of sneakiness
- Where is the junzi, gentleman?
- Debate on S’pore history obstructed by govt’s unproductive behaviour
- Stoking hatred and ill will – MCI replies
- Stoking hatred and ill will
- August 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- January 2015
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
Top Posts & Pages
- A little about me
- Govt's handling of recent cases erodes trust in public institutions
- "We are professionals" - and out you go
- The authoritarianism of the Internet?
- Screaming "xenophobia"
- Utterly shocking behaviour from the Law Society
- So, Yang Yin is part of this "Singaporean core"?
- Capital offence. 26 charges. All dropped. Why?
- The legalised gangsters of Singapore
- Pity, Calvin